A mum has praised the Great North Air Ambulance Service after they helped her little boy when he was accidentally scalded.

The service were called out yesterday to Ousby, where the critical care team assessed and treated the two-year-old Oliver Lightburn who had accidentally been scalded with hot water.

His mum, Hannah Shaw, has since been in touch with the GNNAS and said: "Just wanted to say a massive thank you for coming and airlifting our son Oliver Lightburn to Carlisle after his scalding accident. Thank you so much we will forever be grateful. Thankfully he has one tiny red bit on his shoulder that hasn't even blistered. We are back home with our happy little boy back."

A spokesman for GNAAS said: "We attended an incident near Langwathby. We had two doctors and a paramedic onborard and it took us six minutes to get there.

"We treated a patient on scene before they were airlifted to hospital in Carlisle."